Wednesday, February 11, 2009

He's not Judas, He's a Genius

I don't know if you can tell from the title but here is another blog on Bob Dylan and there will be more to come believe you me.

I'm not sure how many of you out there are Dylan fans and know many of his songs but early in his career around the early sixties he was one of, if not the most popular folk musicians. And just in the Folk music community and not just to fans either but other artists in many other genres respected and loved the artist and genius that Bob was. In fact i bet many of you have heard his songs but did not know it because so many other groups covered him. Anyway what i want to discuss erupted at his third appearance at the newport folk festival. Where he, unknowingly to the audience and everybody else not involved, went electric. Yes this Folk music icon did what the folk community thought is the worst thing someone could do what they saw as "selling out" and went electric with a backing band to boot.

And how did most of the audience respond to historic performance, with a tirade of boos. Of course i understand where they are coming from, they had to of felt betrayed, i mean he was the face of the folk movement in the 60's. But I think thats them being selfish. Dylan wasn't just a voice for them I believe he wrote his for everyone who wanted change. Now, sometimes when artists decide to take a different direction it doesn't pan out. So I can't really blame them but they should have known from his previous albums and had faith in him that whatever he did would be great. I mean bringing it all back, Blonde on Blonde, and Highway 61 revisited to me are his best albums he's recorded. Not that I don't like his folk albums but these electric albums have subterranean home sick blues, Desolation row, Highway 61 revisited, and what is heralded as the greatest rock song ever written Like a rolling stone on them. I guess all I'm trying to say here is I don't see why you have to choose one Dylan or the other. Or maybe I'm just ranting.

The Judas Performance:




First electric performance newport folk festival 1965 - like a rolling Stone



After the electric performance at newport

1 comment:

  1. Bob Dylan is definitely one of the greatest artists that will ever live. He has so many songs that were hits or rewrote. He is in fact a genius.

    ReplyDelete