Saturday, February 21, 2009

And the Oscar goes to......

Tonight at 8 is the 81st annual Academy Awards or as they better known as The Oscars. This is what most people in Hollywood work their whole careers to achieve. And is of course a great honor to win one. My choices for the main categories are as follows.

For best picture the buzz is saying the foreign language India film Slumdog Millionaire, now i don't see what the big hub bub is all about, although Danny Boyle is a fantastic director and I think his movie Trainspotting is a masterpiece of cinema I hope the Sean Penn/ Gus Van Zant movie Milk wins. I believe it is a better story about the life of Harvey Milk and also has a fantastic cast including James Franco (one of my favorite actors); Josh Brolin, who is also up for best supporting actor; and Emile Hirsch. The best actor in a leading role category will beat a tough one as all nominee are deserving, I mean obviously Brad Pitt who has made so many great movies and has yet to win an Oscar! Richard Jenkins who is a fantastic actor and has done so many roles and is finally being noticed by the academy. Sean Penn who is one of the greatest actors of all time, although he already has an Oscar his role as Harvey Milk is such an inspiring piece of acting. Frank Langella as Richard Nixon was spot on. And of course Mickey Rourke in the Indie film the Wrestler. Although all these actors are deserving I hope and the buzz is also in the favor of Mickey Rourke, he is such a good an underrated actor and now that he is finally nomniated I believe he should win. For Best actress in a leading role I think the only possibl;e choice is Kate winslet, I think its a crime she hasn't won one yet, although it will be for a film where she plays a nazi who sleeps with a gentlemen of amuch younger age. But hey what are ya gunna do.

For best supporting actor I know that most people are going to say Heath Ledger as the joker and I do love him in that movie and I think I will be crucified for saying this but I do not think he will win and I think to just give him it just because he died will not be fair to the other nominees or to him...he should definiately get a post humorous honorary award. I really want and i know it probably will not happen but I think Robert Downey jr. should win for tropic thunder, 1) because it was a Ben Stiller movie and I think it would be great if he won and 2) because he did it in an acceptable black face. For best supporting actress I believe Taraji P. Henson should win, anyone who saw Benjamin Button can see why, her performance was so powerful and she portrayed her character so well.

For best director even though I do not want his movie to win I think Danny Boyle for slumdog millionaire should win. He is such a phenomenal and deserving director. Even though Ron Howard is also nominated for best director he already has 2 so forget.

I think for both cinematography and sound The Dark Knight is a no brainer. If you have seen the movie you know what I am talking about. The shots that are in The Dark Knight are amazing and so impressive. And the sound was so great i felt i was in the movie when the action was happening.

These are just my opinion and they are usually never right which makes me hate the Oscars but I keep watching them. Why? I do not know. I for one think The SAG awards and people choice should be more honorable...critics don't know jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment